Friday 17 May 2013

I'VE DIVERSIFIED

It has been a long time desire of mine to be able to create in stitch
so this year I enrolled on an online embroidery course hosted by contemporary embroiderer Karen Ruane

My first course ALCHEMY looked at creating a design book then using it to create a finished piece of work.
 I was definitely not an embroiderer but was determined to try.
So with Karen's guidance and the support of all the other course members
I created my first piece 
 I still find it hard to believe that I made this lovely apron. I used hemp for the base and added vintage trims, ric rac, ticking, cotton fabrics and three Kensitas silk embroideries from the 1940's.  I learnt how to machine stitch and started my hand embroidery journey.
Being so thrilled with the results gave me confidence to sign up with Karen again for a course called
Embroider Embellish Create.
I will tell you about that another time.

I already write a blog called ONE I MADE EARLIER TODAY 
www.oneimadeearliertoday.blogspot.co.uk 
where I have a great gang of followers, but embroidery is becoming so special to me I wanted to give it a blog of its own, so here it is. It is a great record for me of how far I am going with it all.

  I suppose its my online diary of Lynn Holland in stitch. 



12 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn
    Love the work...I have just discovered Karens work and love it. Had wondered about doing the online course but wasn't sure I would have the time?? But seeing your lovely work has made me think I need to find the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne
      Thanks for the lovely comments. I must admit I am a bit manic but I am loving Karen''s courses. We get lots of support and encouragement from both Karen and other course members. Also there are no time limits Karen is still available long after the courses end.

      Delete
  2. Great new site Lynn. I love the images in this post & look forward to seeing more :-) Hugs Elizabeth xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, it feels nice to have a blog just devoted to my stitchwork

      Delete
  3. My goodness what a busy bee you are! I love the pictures you've used here Lynn, they show off your early work so beautifully and the blog layout is so pretty. Mo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mo I wanted to keep the blog clean and crisp so that you can see the work clearly xxx

      Delete
  4. this is a gorgeous place to visit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen....it's all down to your great teaching.

      Delete
  5. Hi Lynn,

    Congratulations! I love your apron -- all the cute details you've put into make it extra special. I'll enjoy popping over to see what else you create.

    Hugs,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you here Kay. Hope all is well with you
      Lynn x

      Delete
  6. You should be so proud of this apron! It is beautiful! I am new to embroidery, too. A little over a year of continuous classes here and there. I am hooked. Karen's classes have been challenging to me but I am determined to break through to the other side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic Tamara your comment sounds like a mirror image of me. Good luck.

      Delete